Self Portrait



I was inspired by pop art for my self-portrait. I wanted to have bulky black lines and bright colors to create contrast. Using thick shadows and outlines was very important to make the image have depth. I played around with a lot of different colors and patterns until I decided to use white as the main color for my face. I also used white to create highlights to make the lips and parts of my hair to stand out. Red was another color I wanted to use to make the lips pop in the image. Using light blue for the eyes is something that I noticed was common in pop art photos and I wanted to apply that to my image. Keeping my eyes blue and my hair light yellow represents my real features as well as common pop art features. 

I chose orange as the background to enhance and brighten the overall image. I wanted a color that would bring more contrast but would also flow with the other colors. Eventually, I decided that I because Halloween is right around the corner (and because I love Halloween) I was going to make my image around that theme. To make it feel spookier I added on some spider webs to the background. The red teardrop is another pop art technique that I thought would add character to my image and wanted it red to keep it tied into the Halloween theme. 

My other inspiration for this was Elvira, the queen of Halloween, who is known for her dark eye makeup, red lips, and pale skin. I created my color palette with her features in mind. I kept my face features true to the real image of myself to make it as realistic. Below is my original photo that I based my image of. 


Thanks for reading! Happy Halloween!

Comments

Popular Posts